welcome

Welcome

Divisional Secratariat Ibbagamuwa

Our Vision

"Towards excellence
through effective government Service"

Our Mission

To provide a service in line with the government policies,
uplift the life styles of the region through a planned,
efficient development process
consisting of proper co-ordination of resources and participation of the people"

The Ibbagamuwa divisional secretariat division of the Kurunegala district of Hiriyala electorate has a lond area of ​​207.55 square kilometers and the Ibbagamuwa divisional secretariat is divided into 74 Grama Niladhari Divisions for the convenience of the internal administration. Ibbagamuwa division comprising 203 villages is a fertile land with many characteristics of the landscape

Historical information has been reported that 'Sweet Waraka' had been taken to the king, and that place where the 'Sweet Jack fruits' placed on, became the "Thibbaa gama"  later became the "Ibbagamuwa" for the convenience of the usage.

About 13 km away from Kurunegala Town, Pangolla junction is situated'  Divisional Secretariat office is located 200m along the Tangolandawaththa Road from the Pangolla junction.

Situation

Ibbagamuwa divisional secretariat's division situated towards to the middle of kurunegala district in north western province.

North : Polpithigama D.S.Division

East   : Pallepola D.S.Division in Mathale district & Rideedama D.S.Division in Kurunegala district

South : Mawathagama & Mallawapitiya D.S.Divisions in Kurunegala district

West  : Deduru Oya boundary and Ganewatta D.S.Division in Kurunegala district

 Ibbagamuwa Division

 
Located between the decrees of 270 - 260 in East - west and the decrees of 170 - 160 in North - south in the map of the Kurunegala Nalanda in scale of 1 : 63360. It is 4872228 k.m2 s in extent from total land quantity of kurunegala district and takes the 5th place of extensiveness.

slope    0% -  8% A zone 17,763 hectares

Slope 08% - 16% B zone 1,795 hectares

Slope 16% - 30% C region 1,052 hectares

Slope 30% - 60% D region 1.940 hectares

Slope 60% - 70% E region 626

 

Soil and water: -

Soil: - The area most commonly is yellowish brown soil. But Melsiripura and its surroundings are found in adjoining areas with red brown soil. Black rock deposits and clay are mixed with this soil. These can be used for clay brick, pots and tile industries. In addition, Miniran and Maiaka Nadi, Ragegoda and Thalgodapitiya are scattered.

Water: - Batalagoda tank and its water supply system, Daduru Oya, Kambulawana reservoir and water supplying water from Kambulwana is supplied with main water supply sources in the division. Medium scale irrigation works of Maddeketiya wewa and minor 254 small anicuts, as well as 141 wells and 07 natural water springs known as irrigation supplies Promotion division needs more water will meet. All these water sources are a great service for water conservation in the division.

 

Historical Background:

Ibbagamuwa Divisional Secretariat Division situated in the Hiriyala electorate in the Kurunegala District which was situated in four past kingdoms adjacent to the central province. There are important historical and archaeological values ​​in the Ibbagamuwa Divisional Secretariat Division, valuable places and ancient places of worship and temples, ancient temples and other historical places. It is also the pride and pride of the division in the Bathalagoda lake in the southern boundary of the division and Kimbulwana Oya reservior in the north western boundry of division which is located in the area's main and historic irrigation system. In addition, the above two large irrigation works are rich in 254 minor small tanks (177 tanks and 17 small tanks) that feed and distribute water from the rainforests. The brown mixed soil, the wet and dry climatic zones throughout the division, and the favorable weather-related climate throughout the year is a blessing to the area. The mineral resources available for the construction of limestone mining in the area, especially the Surface Graffiti Mineral Deposit, are used for commercial industries, and in some places, bricks, pots and tile industries.

The historical significance of the Ibbagamuwa Divisional Secretariat goes back to the prehistoric era and in addition to the four main kingdoms in the Kurunegala District mentioned above and a sub-kingdom named 'Budalaththali' located in the Batalagoda Lake. "Mahavansaya' states that the Batalagoda area was called Mangalapura in the past and therefore, the area surrounding the Batalagoda tank has a historical importance. It is believed that this tank was originally built by Budalaththali, the minister of the first King Parakum. It is mentioned in the history that the tank had filled with a dam crossing the Deduru Oya. Accordingly, it is believed that this tank was later known as the "Budalaththalavapi" and this area is also known as the "Budalaththali".

However, it is mentioned that the Bathalagoda tank was renovated by Kalyanawathi queen (AD 1202-1208). This information is confirmed by the inscription on the side of the tank and this inscription was prepared for the benefit of everyone. According to the inscription, the tank and the dam, the sluice and the lake reservior should be protected by everyone. Subsequently, major renovations have been carried out in the Bathalagoda tank during the British era (in 1894 AD), the renowned English engineer Henry Parker. A powerful proof of this renovation can be seen  515-Periyakandulama Grama Seva division of Ibbagamuwa divisional secretariat. Special "Donaava" made in a rock  is a remarkable demonstration of Parker's engineering knowledge.

The Sangamuwa  Raja Maha Viharaya, which is considered to be the day King Dutugemunu, also provides historical importance to this area.. The first South Asian Memorandum of understanding is in this temple. Rock inscription shows that it is between King Parakramabahu(1153-1186) and the king of the second Gajabahaya(1153-1186). And also, Maliyadeva Arahat who was the last arahath was living in this temple. There are 13 caves,Sandakada Pahana, Muragala in this temple. Accordingly, the government has named this temple as an Archaeological sites

The history says that the day of  king Devanapethis in Buddha's Years 236, a prince Bodhigupta marreid with  Mayurawathi princess and ruled the country in Uthurupawwa area. Thereafter, he had made a place to worship the god and a Buddha statue which lay beneath the cubits of 120 feet in length. Because of this cave on the north of the Vihara, this area was named as Uthurupawwa Viharaya.

Also, the Ussawa Raja Maha Viharaya is a temple that has been built by King Dutugemunu about two thousand years ago and is an ancient temple in the Ibbagamuwa divisional secretariat area.The historical Ussawa sri nagala rajamaha viharaya which belongs to the 2-3th century is near of Melsiripura Madahapola Road, is an ancient temple built in a beautiful plain land. This temple is famous as the "Nagala Viharaya" due to simbol of a cobra in the temple. There are archaeological ruins of Poya seemamalakaya, Shila Lekana, Kaiyoru, Sandakadapahana. At the time  There is a renovated 'Daageba' by King Dutugemunu  in the Anuradhapura period. The recently renovated Chaithya was built during the reign of King Dutugemunu of Anuradhapura. According to the inscription written in the land called Mahawela Pitaya in the year 1727,  Ussawa Raja Maha Viharaya was given to the Millawana Gunarathana thero who was the chief of the Temple of the Tooth Relic during the reign of King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe. There is also evidence that the Vihara Dageba existed in the ancient times as a highest Dageba. Accordingly, it is stated in the past 'Usa Seya' > 'Usseya' finally it was called  as Ussawa'. In addition, Sulugal viharaya in Peddawa is another valuable historical place.  Maliyadeva thero  exists in this temple too is in the period.

The Chulaka len Viharaya located in the village of Peddawa is also historically important, as in the history it is mentioned that a Chulaka who was a minister, had lived there. Also Ranchirimada Raja Maha Viharaya located in the Doluwa area of Ibbagamuwa Divisional Secretariat is also a historically important place. This temple belonging to the early Anuradhapura period is situated close to the "Dolukanda" mountain. It is mentioned in the history that this temple was built by King Buddhadasa's son prince Upatissa. there are paintings, statues, stone lamp posts, and stables belongs to Kandyan era.
 
In addition to this, the Namal Anga Rajamaha Viharaya located in the Ambanpola area is also a historically important temple and has won the honor of the people not only in the area but also in all other areas of the country. In addition, the Sri wishnu Devalaya of Kandawala and Sri Vishnu Devalaya of Kirindigalla are also places with historical archaeological value in the area.

In addition to these temples and tanks, Ibbagamuwa is home to many renowned national and international institutions. Ibbagamuwa Central College is one of the leading places where scholars, artists, sportsmen, politicians and religious leaders have become a prominent place among them.  Ibbagamuwa Central College is the third Central College in the country where the father of free education,C.W.W. Kannangara started. The school, which commenced on the 2nd of February 1942, completed 70 years in 2012. In 1944, this school had 23 students and 3 teachers.The Central College now consists about 3000 students.Ibbagamuwa Central College is now a main educational institute in the country that provides students with the knowledge of subject and extracurricular activities.

Bathalagoda Rice Research and Development Institute is a historical significance both locally and internationally in Ibbagamuwa area. Since its inception in 1952, the institute has undertaken several research initiatives to develop the varieties of paddy cultivation. The Bathalagoda tank provides uninterrupted water supply to both Yala and Maha seasons. Plant Rectification Research, Soil Research, Seed Production, making Socio-Economic Planning and Policies and training School children, Universities and Agricultural Colleges researchers are main functions. Rice Research and Development Institute rendering a great service to the country while serving the nationally and internationally. 

Accordingly, the Ibbagamuwa division has reached a high point in the religious, cultural, archeological, social, educational, political, economic and environmental sectors and has a very high regional branch office in Hiriyala, Kurunegala and all over the island. Notwithstanding this, the Ibbagamuwa Divisional Secretariat is a reputed administration area which is a wonderful place in the world.

News & Events

10
Feb2020
The 72nd National Independence Day

The 72nd National Independence Day

The 72nd National Independence Day was celebrated...

18
Mar2019
Blood Donation Campaign

Blood Donation Campaign

A blood donation campaign was held on...

Scroll To Top